1. Information We Collect and How We Collect It
The NDNY-FCBA is a voluntary membership organization that collects information, including online, by phone, paper, and by other means, to help us better identify and contact you, our members, and potential members. The NDNY-FCBA collects this information for a variety of business purposes, including but not limited to, applying for and renewing NDNY-FCBA membership, registering for a NDNY-FCBA event or program, or otherwise interacting with the NDNY-FCBA.
“Personal Information” is any information related to a natural person. Personal Information can be used on its own or combined with other information or data to identify an individual. Examples of Personal Information include names, addresses, ID numbers, geolocation, and biometric information. This information may include but is not limited to:
- Contact details such as (for example) your full (i.e., first, and last) name, institutional affiliations, phone number, email address, and postal address;
- Educational and professional background information;
- Employment information;
- Event registration information;
- Financial and dues information;
- Payment data;
- Usernames and passwords;
- Comments, feedback, posts, and other content you submit to this site and/or the NDNY-FCBA’s social media platforms;
- Information you provide to or post on the NDNY-FCBA’s listserv, message boards or chat rooms; and
- Interests and communication preferences.
2. How Your Information Is Used and Stored
In addition to the uses described above, we use your Personal Information in a variety of ways including, but not limited to:
- Identify you when you visit our sites or social media platforms;
- Provide service communications such as dues reminders, program/event availability and registrations, and general messages;
- Provide products, information and services you request or that we think you may be interested in;
- Respond to your emails or online requests for information or services (e.g., pro se assistance);
- Personalize and improve the usability of this site and/or the NDNY-FCBA’s social media platforms;
- Fulfil and/or deliver information and services; and
- Publish to our members select membership directories, membership lists and registration lists (e.g., Officers & Trustees lists, Standing Committee lists, etc.), but such publications will never include your credit card information or other confidential/sensitive information.
3. How Your Information is Shared
The NDNY-FCBA may employ professional and/or technical services from companies and individuals to help build, operate, update and monitor this website and the NDNY-FCBA’s social media platforms.
All professional service providers are required to take appropriate security measures to protect your Personal Information in line with our policies. We do not allow them to use your Personal Information for their own purposes. We permit them to process your Personal Information only for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
If/when your Personal Information is shared with third parties, the NDNY-FCBA will seek to share the minimum amount of information necessary.
4. How We Protect Your Personal Information
5. How to Manage the Use of Your Personal Information
You can manage your profile and email preferences, including “opting out” of email by contacting us using the Contact Us information at the bottom of this site. If you prefer to receive only hard copy mailings from the NDNY-FCBA, please contact us as described at the bottom of this webpage.
Our use of your Personal Information is based upon your consent, contract performance (e.g., your membership sign-up/renewal, registration for events, etc.), or compliance with law. You may withdraw your consent at any time. We retain your Personal Information that you provide to us.
Your Personal Information is your own – we rely on you to update and correct your Personal Information. If you are a user of this site, a subscriber to any NDNY-FCBA publications, a registrant for NDNY-FCBA events or services, or an NDNY-FCBA member, you can review, update and correct your information directly on the NDNY-FCBA’s website (or by contacting us as described at the bottom of this site).
6. How We Retain Your Personal Information
The NDNY-FCBA retains your Personal Information for as long as is necessary to fulfill the purpose(s) for which it was collected, as long as you are admitted to practice law in New York whichever is longer, or as long as it is required or permitted by law, whichever is longer. We may retain your Personal Information indefinitely, even after you are no longer a member, to continue to communicate with you about membership, events and other services, or to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, or enforce any of our agreements. You may request, at any time, that we delete your Personal Information. All requests should be directed to us in writing. The NDNY-FCBA reserves the right to delete your Personal Information if we believe that it is incomplete, inaccurate, or that our continued use and storage are contrary to our obligations to other members, individuals, or third parties.
The NDNY-FCBA will notify you by email, U.S. mail, telephone or other means if we determine that a data security incident has occurred.
8. NDNY-FCBA E-Mail Policy
The E-Mail Policy of the NDNY-FCBA is as follows:
Your e-mail address will be used only by the NDNY-FCBA, its members and staff, and its third-party vendors. Please note, however, that in such cases, your e-mail address may be visible to other attorneys, individuals who have interest in the legal profession and/or NDNY-FCBA events, as well as the public through the NDNY-FCBA’s social media accounts, listserv and/or registration lists.
The NDNY-FCBA may also share your e-mail address with third parties to enable us to take security measures to help protect against unauthorized access to, or unauthorized alteration, disclosure, or destruction of, your Personal Information. Finally, the NDNY-FCBA shares e-mail addresses with third parties, as necessary, for us to perform certain services on our behalf, such as mailing, delivering and processing event registrations, and responding to service requests.
10. User ID and Password
Members will be required to use a user ID and password to access certain parts of the NDNY-FCBA site. The use of a user ID and password helps protect your Personal Information. Please create a unique and strong password (by using both uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters). Please click here if you need assistance in using or resetting your User ID and/or Password.
11. Linking to Other Websites
12. Contact Us
P.O. Box 7067
Syracuse, NY 13261
Effective Date: January 1, 2023